Snapshots from MIT

My undergraduate experiences at Madras Institute of Technology, 1996-2000

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

First prize in MIT

Ok, now that title can be a little misleading. It may either mean that I won the first prize in some competition in MIT. Or that I won a prize for the first time in MIT. Fortunately for me, it means both.

The Tamil club of Anna University organised a poetry competition as part of Bhaarathiyaar vizhaa to commemorate the best Tamil poet of the modern era, Subramanya Bhaarathiyaar. Two topics were given, "puthiyathOr ulakam seyvOm" or "vidiyalai NOkki." I recited a poem on the first topic and I won the first prize for the first time in MIT. (And expectedly many more would be won in the remaining days) Dr. A. Mathialagan, our then dean, was the judge. My classmate Shoba who also recited a poem won a consolation prize. But Dr. AM was averse to call it consolation prize as it had a non-positive connotation. So he coined a new term, calling it as the encouragement prize. Nice one, isn't it?

(Psoted on 03-Jun-2004)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home