Snapshots from MIT

My undergraduate experiences at Madras Institute of Technology, 1996-2000

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

NanmaanguLam Sunai

I have previously recounted my experiences with the 46th batch seniors of Instrumentation department and how I have always admired them. I was a pet to many of them. There is one more incident that I got to enjoy with them and this happened in a place called "NanmaanguLam Sunai".

Sunai, as some of my Tamil friends would be aware is the tamil word for a water body situation amidst hilly areas. Actually, it refers to a spot where water gushes out, but the source of the same is hidden from our eyes by nature. I never expected to see such things in Chennai, but that was the surprise.

It was a cool Sunday after the first year's Intecho (about which I have written few posts ago.) Some of the 46th batch seniors, basking after the successful completion of the event, wanted to take a refreshing break to celebrate, and they decided that this NanmaanguLam sunai would be the best place to do so. At that time, I was planning to leave the college along with my classmate Anbu Smiles, having stayed overnight in the hostel. We were stopped at the gate and invited to join them. They informed us that we have to make a bicycle trek for about an hour to reach this Sunai. The idea caught our imagination, and we all rented bicycles and started our journey. The headcount was as follows: Suresh, KTK, GK, NK, Balaji and SuCha, apart from the two of us.

We reached Tambaram from Chromepet and we took a detour through what looked like a village road, with lush green fields on both sides. I was stunned to see such things in the vicinity of Chennai. We were able to enjoy many village pleasures like sitting under a huge banyan tree and enjoying snacks, drinking padhani by the roadside, etc.

And then we reached the Sunai. It was an inviting pool of water, with a perfect backdrop of hills and trees. We immediately plunged in, given that it was noon. I did not know swimming, but that was Ok, because the water was only waist deep, so knowledge of swimming was not a pre-requisite. Some of us got a sudden attraction for what is called sun-bathing, but I don't think we presented a pretty sight. (I did not, for sure.)

No trip like this is complete without food and drinks. Our seniors had made sure that these will be flowing as much as required. So we had a filling time. More than the food and drinks, what will add excitement and fun to such an event, is the presence of a person who properly appreciates all this. And we had exactly one such person in SuCha. He was there in full flow and his antics provided unmitigated fun.

It was truly a very refreshing day that I enjoyed in my MIT life. And very unforgettable.

(Posted on 19-Dec-2004)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home